Banana Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Filling
Two spicy-sweet banana cookies sandwich a rich, dreamy maple cream cheese filling to make the perfect sandwich cookie.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
For the cookies:
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 2 1/2 – 3 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
For the maple cream cheese filling:
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8 oz. full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. pure maple syrup (NOT imitation)
- 3–4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To make cookies:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and honey until smooth and light in color (about 2 minutes).
- Mash bananas with a fork. Add bananas, egg and vanilla to mixer and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle baking soda, cinnamon and allspice over wet ingredients and mix briefly.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time (or, really: 1 cup, 1 cup, 1/2 cup). Mix thoroughly in between. After 2 1/2 cups, check dough. If it’s too sticky, add remaining 1/2 cup.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 15 minutes to make dough easier to scoop.
- Use a cookie scoop to place balls of dough on cookie sheet, spaced at least 1 inch apart. Press down gently on tops of dough to help spread.
- Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and look fairly set.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cooling rack.
To make filling:
- Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until well combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in maple syrup and mix on low until combined. Taste to make sure it has enough maple taste. Add more syrup if necessary (more syrup will mean more powdered sugar is needed).
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly in between, until filling reaches desired consistency.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. 15 minutes before using, set out on counter.
- When ready to use, add icing tip to ziploc bag or icing bag and fill bag with maple filling.
To fill cookies:
- Separate cookies into pairs. Match up similarly sized/shaped cookies as best as possible.
- Turn one cookie in each pair upside down. Squeeze filling from bag onto cookie in a circular motion.
- Top with other cookie.
- Let set before serving.
Refrigerate cookies when not serving, as the filling contains cream cheese.
If your bananas are not ripe, peel them and microwave for 15-30 seconds to ripen and soften them.
Keywords: cookie, cookies, banana, maple cream cheese, cream cheese frosting