Cinnamon Spice Preserved Apples Recipe
These crisp apples are the perfect way to save a fall harvest! Use them in pies, cupcakes, cakes, or top oatmeal with this Cinnamon Spice Preserved Apples Recipe.
- Prep Time: 13 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 14 hours
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 2 16 oz mason jars (or equivalent)
- 4 lbs fresh apples
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Wash and slice your apples into 1/3 inch slices. Optional: peel the apples.
- In a bowl, add the apples and toss the sugar, evenly coating all the apples.
- Place the apples on a plate and add another plate with a bit of weight to the top.
- Store the weighted apples in the fridge overnight or 12 hours and allow the juices to be pressed out.
- Next, sterilize your jars to prepare to add the Cinnamon Spice Preserved Apples. Add the glass jars to a stock pot of boiling water, covering the entire jar.
- Boil for 10+ minutes, adding 1 minute for each 1,000 feet above sea level.
- Remove the sterilized jars with tongs, place on a clean surface and allow to dry.
- Add the apples and cinnamon sticks to the sterilized jars leaving 1/2 – 1 inch of free space at the top of the jar.
- Pour your apple and sugar juices into a second pot. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook for just a few minutes to allow the rest of the sugar to dissolve.
- Pour the juices over the jarred cinnamon and apples. Be sure that all the apples are covered. Remove any air bubbles by tapping the glass against a counter or using a canning knife.
- Clean the edges of the jar with a wet cloth or paper towel and seal the lid.
- Place the sealed jars of Cinnamon Spice Preserved Apples into a stock pot of water and bring to a boil for 20 minutes.
- If you are using a mason jar, the apples will be done when the seal pops!
- Store in a pantry or fridge for 2+ months.
Keywords: canning, apples, preserved apples, canning recipe, how to can