You know it’s fall when you are craving a dessert like this! These Fried Apple Pie Wontons have a thin, crispy shell and are a fun twist on a traditional apple pie. Apples are so perfectly autumn and this dish is such a great spin on the classic treat!
So let’s make them! Keep reading for helpful tips and tricks or scroll straight to the bottom for the recipe card.
Ingredients to Make Fried Apple Pie Wontons:
Apple Pie Filling
Vegetable Oil (or any oil suitable for frying)
Additionally You will Need:
A Deep Pot or Deep Fryer
A Basting Brush
Before you get started get your egg ready to use by whipping it to an even consistency. We’re not making the egg into an egg wash – like other pies. Instead, we’re going to use that egg to seal the edges of the wontons. You may also want to start heating your oil now too. These apple pie wontons should be deep fried. For most stoves and deep fryers that’s medium heat. Last, mix your brown sugar and cinnamon together.
To make the wontons, remove the wonton papers from the packaging and lay them flat on a cutting board or any clean, non-stick surface. Add a small amount of apple slices (in the form of pie filling and sauce) to each wonton wrapper. I used about 3 slices each. Place the apples on 1 triangle of the wonton paper, so you will be able to fold the other triangle over the top to enclose the filling. Sprinkle the apples with just a touch of your brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Now, to seal the edges of the wonton paper, brush egg around the 4 edges of the paper. You just need a thin line – a tiny bit of egg. Fold the paper in a half like a triangle to close the apple inside the wonton. Use a fork (or you can use your hands) to press the edges of the wonton paper together.
The egg will act like glue, but it’s imperative that those edges stay together while the apple pie wontons are frying! So be sure to truly seal the edges of the wonton paper together. You can brush the outside of the wonton with egg if you like!
Now hopefully you have started heating your oil. If not, be sure to do that now! Your oil should be fully heated to medium temperature before adding your wontons. When the oil it hot, gently drop the wontons in and deep fry until golden brown. That should be around 5 minutes or perhaps slightly longer.
Pull the wontons out with a mesh strainer and place the wontons on a paper towel to absorb a bit of oil. While the wontons are still hot and glistening, sprinkle them with just a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon Allow them to cool for just a few minutes, before you serve them. You know the inside of those wontons will be like hot lava!
You could serve these Fried Apple Pie Wontons with ice cream or even a healthier frozen yogurt. They also make the perfect party dish to take to a dinner party. They travel easily and keep well!Print
Fried Apple Pie Wontons Recipe
These crispy Fried Apple Pie Wontons are easy and perfect for fall.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1 jar of apple pie filling
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4–6 cups of vegetable oil, or any oil suitable for frying
- Place the oil in a deep fryer or deep pot and turn the heat to medium.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a third and separate bowl, beat your egg until it has an even consistency.
- Open the package of wonton wrappers and place on a smooth, non-stick surface.
- Place around 3 apple slices or so on one triangular side of the wonton and sprinkle it with your brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Brush your egg around all 4 edges of the wonton and fold the wonton into a triangular half. Use a fork to firmly press the edges together. Be sure to do this well so that your wontons won’t open as you fry them.
- Once your oil is hot, place the filled and sealed wontons in the pot or deep fryer. Deep fry them until they are golden brown, which should be between 5 and 10 minutes. Use a mesh strainer to remove them.
- Allow them to cool on a paper towel before serving, and while they are still hot and glistening, sprinkle them with a touch of your brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Eat them as a hand held treat or serve them with ice cream or frozen yogurt. To store them, place them in the refrigerator. Fried Apple Pie Wontons will keep for a few days.
Keywords: dessert, fried wontons, wontons recipe, apple pie, apple pie wontons,
Let’s Stay Friends!