Have you ever seen anything more beautiful? This Blood Orange Meringue Pie is like heaven in a pie. It’s a cool twist on your standard Lemon Meringue Pie and is really similar to make.
Meringue can be daunting, but it’s actually super easy. It’s one of my favorite flavors. I love anything with whipped cream or a custard like top. It’s creamy, light, and rich. I’m also a big fan of citrus too.
About Pie Crust:
You could use a regular pie crust or a graham cracker crust for this Blood Orange Meringue Pie. I’m a big fan of using puff pastry as a pie shell. Whatever you use, you will likely want to pre-bake it for just a few minutes. Spread a small amount of butter across the dough and add pie weights before baking.
About Blood Oranges:
By using blood oranges, we definitely put a spin on this classic recipe! But if you want to go more traditional you could always substitute them for lemons. The recipe is the same. I have been wanting to try a triple citrus blend with grapefruit, tangerine, and lemon. I bet that would be a hit!
Blood oranges are best in the spring season and aren’t available year round so do consider an alternative if you are making this dessert in the fall or winter.
Making meringue is so much easier than you think. Let your eggs warm to room temperature before you get started. Don’t worry about how many “minutes” your recipe says to beat the egg whites. The goal is for the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
Always add your ingredients slowly. It’s especially important to add the sugar in small amounts so that it will melt and blend thoroughly.
You don’t ever have to use a torch, but it’s a sneaky little weapon when you need to brown your meringue. You have a lot of control over how much you will brown it and where. It’s the perfect thing for after it’s out of the oven, if you just want to touch it up.Print
Easy Blood Orange Meringue Pie
This Blood Orange Meringue Pie is an exotic twist on the Classic Lemon Meringue! It is as beautiful as it is delicious and oh so easy to bake.
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hours 30 Minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter (chilled)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Cold Water
- 4 Egg Yolks (reserving the whites for the meringue)
For the filling:
- 1 –14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 teaspoons Blood Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup Blood Orange Juice (about 1 1/2 oranges)
For the meringue:
- 4 Egg Whites
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a food processor to beat your chilled pie crust ingredients and roll out onto a floured surface.
- Add to a pie plate and brush with butter. Add pie weights and pre-bake for about 10 minutes.
- You could also skip this step by using a pre-made pie crust and pre-baking in the same way.
- Once your pie crust is out of the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- For the filling, whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, blood orange zest and juice. Add to the warm pie crust.
- For the meringue, use room temperature egg whites. Do not use cold eggs. Add the egg whites to a Kitchen-Aid mixer and blend on high.
- Slowly add your vanilla, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Add small amounts at a time.
- Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the pie filling.
- Be sure that your meringue completely covers it and touches the pie crust around the entire perimeter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until your meringue is light to golden brown.
- Allow to cool and serve the same day.
- This Blood Orange Meringue Pie will keep for around 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Blood Orange Meringue Pie, Modern and Fresh Meringue Pie Recipe, Summer Citrus Pie, Pop Shop America Recipes
Let’s Be Friends!