Yum! You have to try this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Scones! It’s delicious, fruity, and surprisingly simple to make.
You know I am a bit breakfast crazy. Who can resist something delicious and special first thing in the morning? And these Lemon Blueberry Scones may be one of my favorite breakfast treats. Plus, lemon and blueberry are like a match made in heaven!
So let’s get to baking.
First of all, fresh and frozen blueberries are both perfect for this recipe. If you are using fresh, consider blueberries that are a bit old, perhaps a bit too ripe, and are almost falling apart. It’s just like when you are baking with bananas – how you always want to use older fruit because the flavor is enhanced and it breaks down under the heat so perfectly.
As far as what lemons to use, try to find some that are big, juicy, and soft. If you use fruit that is nice and ripe, you will not need to create a glaze for these scones. I prefer to skip the glaze, since it’s all sugar anyway!
You may see scones in a triangle shape, but you can create them in any shape you like! I used a circle cookie cutter (you could use a muffin tin too). You can also cut them into square shapes. It’s anything goes when it comes to the shape!
As far as the rest of the tutorial, it’s really just a simple mix, bake, and enjoy! Just follow the recipe below and comment below if you have any questions. I am always glad to help.
My only other tip is that if you are using a zester, you better stop right now! Zesters are literally the worst kitchen device ever. Get one of these microplanes instead! They are easier to use and produce a lot more zest at one time. You can set them right on top of your bowl instead of holding it in an unwieldy way.
Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup cold sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries thawed
- zest of 1-2 large lemons
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a Kitchen-Aid Mixer (or hand blender) mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and sugar.
- Then blend in the cold butter. Mix until evenly blended and crumbs are formed.
- Add the sour cream and egg and gently mix again being careful not to overmix dough.
- Gently add the blueberries.
- Add the dough to a floured surface and press to around 3/4 inch thick.
- Punch with a circle cookie cutter or cut into triangles and place on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Let’s Be Friends!