Oh I sure to love Gingersnaps! I would say it’s one of my favorite cookies. Spicy cookies are just so fun and perfect for winter. They are so fun when accompanying tea and so lovely to dip. They are heavenly when frosted with Buttercream Frosting like this.
And these Gingersnap Cookies are just a bit of extra spicy! They aren’t overwhelming – they don’t hurt like a jalapeno can. Instead they are rich, flavorful and interesting. They are unique, complex and totally addictive.
They make an adorable gift and are a fun twist on your normal Gingersnap Cookie Recipe. If you want to go straight to the recipe, scroll down to the end! And if you want to learn more about these delicious cookies keep reading.
The Difference Between Gingersnaps and Gingerbread
So what is the difference anyway?
The good news is no we’re not all crazy, they are almost exactly the same. Both are molasses and spice cookies. The actual spices used can vary from cinnamon to ginger and clove to nutmeg. But they are usually a blend of your traditional fall spices.
Gingersnaps are usually chewy and gingerbread cookies are usually crunchy. Gingersnaps are often round and gingerbread cookies are often shaped with cookie cutters.
Gingerbread often has a bit more flour the dough, it is usually chilled before rolling out, and there is baking powder in addition to the baking soda.
Those are about the only differences.
You can actually adapt this recipe and make it into gingerbread. From the recipe below just add:
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
and then chill the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling it out.Print
Spicy Gingersnap Cookies Recipe
These spicy gingersnap cookies have a little extra kick!
- Prep Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Yield: 24 Servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Clove
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne
- Sugar (to roll cookies in before baking)
- In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, butter, molasses, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in baking soda, salt cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pepper, and cayenne. Then mix in the flour.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease your cookie sheet.
- Shape dough into round balls and roll in granulated sugar. Then place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes until edges are golden brown and the interior rises.
- Cool before serving.
Keywords: Gingersnap Cookie Recipe, Easy Spicy Cookies, Simple Cookie Treat, Pop Shop America Recipes
Let’s Be Friends!